Saturday, March 7, 2009

This Week in Books...


This week brought another wonderful pile of books to my door!

Saturday:
--To My Dearest Friends by Patricia Volk

Monday:
--The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger and Daniel Paisner

Wednesday:
--Gardens of Water by Alan Drew from a contest win
--Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town by Warren St. John from LibraryThing Early Reviewers
--Blame It On Bangkok by JF Gump

Thursday:
--The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil from Harper Collins Voice

Friday:
--The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
--Life on the Refrigerator Door: Notes Between a Mother and Daughter by Alice Kuipers
--The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
All three of these came from the library on audio


Of all the wonderful books I received this week I am most excited about The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow. I am fascinated by WWII and Holocaust books, and have heard good things about this one.

This week I finished three books and am over a quarter of the way done with my 100 books challenge. If I keep up this pace I should be able to finish this challenge pretty easily. My Countdown Challenge is coming along nicely, and I am still considering signing up for the Classics Challenge.

I hope you all had a good week in books!

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I would be excited about that one too. In fact, I am pretty anxious to hear your thoughts. I might put it on my WWII reading challenge list.

I loved The White Tiger...I listened to it on audio. Some were put off that it won the Booker but I thought it well deserved it!

Carebear said...

Oh, boy, that's a lot of books! I'm jealous! Yes, the green sweater appeals to me too, so does "Notes on the Refrigerator Door". Looking forward to reading your comments/reviews on your new arrivals!

Kelly said...

Wow--you certainly added to the household this week!

Literary Feline said...

It looks like you got some great reading ahead of you, Melissa. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Outcasts United. I got that one too.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

What a great week in books! *The Girl in the Green Sweater* looks interesting to me,too. I've signed up for the "War thru the Generations* challenge and have read/reviewed exactly ZERO books for this challenge so far ... I better get cracking!

Congrats on all your challenge progress :)

Dawn
She is Too Fond of Books
She is T

Melissa said...

Sandy: That's part of why I did pick up The White Tiger. I wanted to see for myself how it was.

Carebear & Kelly: I know! Every time more books arrive hubby just rolls his eyes.

Literary Feline: Once I read it I will check out your review too.

Dawn: My war reading is pretty much limited to WWII and the Holocaust, so I probably wouldn't have done so well with that challenge.

avisannschild said...

The Girl in the Green Sweater does sound good. Happy reading!