Thursday, March 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday...Movie Potential


Tami inspired this week’s question:
What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers? Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?

The one book that I can think of that shouldn't be made into a movie is Outlander. I know there are lots of people who disagree, but I love this book, and just don't think it would transfer well to the big screen.

There is so much detail in the book that I think things would have to be left out, and that's not the way the book was intended. To me, that's like listening to an abridged audio version. Another reason I don't want to see an Outlander movie is that the characters in the movie will never match up to what I have pictured.

I can't think of a book off the top of my head that I would love to see as a movie. There are lots of books that have been made into movies that I want to see, but until I get to the book, these will have to wait.

ETA: One I just thought of that would be a good movie is Beat the Reaper. I can see that one transferring to film really well.

What book would you like to see on the big screen?

10 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

My post was on Outlander too! I'm not sure how I feel about an Outlander movie. I like how they are in my head.

D Gabaldon is working on a Graphic Novel version.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I don't really yearn for anything in particular to be made into a movie. I think most of my favorite novels are probably unfilmable!

Kelly said...

Years ago I read a book called Footprints of Thunder by James David, I always thought that it would have been a great movie!

Mostly though, I want to see F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series on film.

Beth F said...

OUtlander was mentioned a couple of times. I'll go see the movie, but I wonder if they can do the book justice.

SmilingSally said...

I couldn't even read Beat the Reaper; it was so profane. I guess that'd be a R rated for sure! My title is different; it's here:
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movie.html

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Melissa....I think I just received Delicate Edible Birds from you on PBS??? It was a Melissa in CO. If it was you double thanks!!!!

Melissa said...

Chris: I have seen the sketches for the graphic novel and I think I will like it.

Kelly: I will check out your mentions. I'm not familiar with either of them.

Smilingsal: Beat the Reaper would definitely be R rated!

Diane: I think it was. Too funny!

Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker said...

heres my BTT: http://icewarmth.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movies.html

Anonymous said...

Give Hollywood a chance, and there are a LOT of them that would screw up the best book out there (or worst, really.. they're good at it!). But, I think it is getting better these days. Watch movies from the 70's and 80's that were "based" on books, then compare the movies to the actual books. I think they are... some of them, I think... more purist in their productions of the books nowadays.

Sure, they could screw up The Gargoyle, but I'm a bit optomistic on it.

Outlander is deep in Mt. TBR, and I read one BTT with this book as their dream movie... lol. It's good to see the book is so passionately loved. It may bubble up to the mountain's surface a little faster if it's that good ;-)

Carebear said...

Yeah, Outlander has too much going on to make a good movie. That series of books is so great though! I think that Eat, Pray, Love would make a GREAT movie! Someone should do that. I actually just came by to tell you that the randomly-selected winner of the Cheesecake Factory gift certificate is Joy from Joy to the Blog. Thanks so much for entering my giveaway, and for being a follower!

P.S. Come visit for my best giveaway ever from March 23rd-26th!