Monday, June 1, 2009

Review: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


Book Info:
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Hardcover: 304 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers (June 1, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9780316051590
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4/5



"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."

"Okay."

"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"

"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"


According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy ever day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.




The cover of Twenty Boy Summer caught my eye right from the beginning. I love the colors, and the pieces of beach glass. I'm not usually one who likes hearts on things, but it really works well for the book, and I like the cover even more now that I've read it.

Anna is an incredibly likeable character, especially for a teenager. Sometimes likeable characters can seem too good to be true, but Anna doesn't come across that way at all. She is just a good kid dealing with some hard times and looking for a little fun.

Ockler does a wonderful job of bringing the reader into her character's lives. Her descriptions had me experiencing the butterflies of a new romance and the anger and disappointment that come along when you fight with friends.

My one complaint with the book was the reference to Anna's virginity as an albatross. Yes, it's been a while since I've been in high school, and maybe there were some kids who looked at virginity that way, but I don't think it is the normal view. Maybe things have changed though...

I don't know if anyone outgrows the allure of a summer romance and while Twenty Boy Summer would be a great beach read, it also touches on deeper, more emotional topics as well. 4 stars

6 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I guess I'm a bit out of touch, but I thought that virginity was back in style with the younger crowd. I know that alot of higher profile teens have been very outstpoken about their oaths of chastity, and wear jewelry to promote it. But what do I know? I can't say that it was an albatross when I was growing up. And I wouldn't want my daughter to read a book that puts that thought in her head!

Melissa said...

That's kind of what I thought...and even if kids aren't outspoken about their virginity it never felt like something you had to ditch as fast as possible either.

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds cute. BTW..."Precious" arrived today; thanks so much

Zibilee said...

I think this sounds like a really good beach read. I am thinking about taking this one on vacation with me, your review makes it sound really interesting.

Cindy said...

I want to read this book so much! awesome review :)