Thursday, June 11, 2009

Booking Through Thursday...Niche


There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.)

But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.

What niche books do YOU read?



I don't really read any how-to books, but one genre that I love, and is a little out of the ordinary, is travel memoirs. I was fortunate enough to have been able to travel quite a bit with my family in my teens, and I loved it. Now, I don't have the time or the financial ability to travel like I would want to. So I do my traveling vicariously.

I love to read about people's adventures in far-away places. I especially enjoy books where the author immerses themselves in the culture, without trying to change the locals. One book that comes to mind in the genre that was wonderful is Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman. If anyone has any recommendations for great travel memoirs I would love to hear them!

13 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Have you ever read "Honeymoon with my Brother"? It is a memoir, written by a guy jilted at the altar. He is obviously stressed after being dumped and needs to get away, so invites his brother, who he's grown apart from, to join him on his honeymoon. They have an epiphany or a crisis somewhere along the line, and sell all of their assets and decide to travel the world. It is a sweet, fun memoir.

Kerri said...

I agree with Sandy, Honeymoon with my Brother is a great read. I also would suggest In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson.

Literary Feline said...

That's a good one! I really can't say I've read a travel memoir, but I probably have one or two on my TBR shelf waiting its turn.

Melissa said...

I actually have read Honeymoon with my Brother. I have some Bryson, but not Sunburned Country.

Jacqueline C. said...

I enjoy a good travel memoir too! Here are mine: (1) and (2)

gautami tripathy said...

I love travelogues!

Booking through niche

Jess said...

I have to travel, but never thought about reading travel memoirs -- great idea!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I've never read travel books, probably because I don't travel much, but I think if I tried them I'd enjoy them.

Missy B. said...

Honeymoon With My Brother sounds great! I don't read how-to books, or craft books. I do read cookbooks, though. Memoirs on traveling would be fun to read, I think!

Cindy said...

I like memoirs too :)

Anonymous said...

That's a good one! I can't say that I've read that many travel memoirs though.

My niche is art and photography books :)

Chrisbookarama said...

Oh that's a good one! I think I've only read A Year in Provence though I don't know if that's really a travel memoir.

Tina Kubala said...

I've been caught reading fiction from certain countries and been asked if I plan to travel there. I can't explain to a non reader that in some ways reading about a place is better than going.