Friday, June 5, 2009

The Bottom Line, #1

The Bottom Line is a feature to designed to give quick and dirty reviews of books I've read, but I either don't have the time or the inspiration to write full reviews on them.


13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (September 26, 2006)
ISBN-13: 9780060541439
Genre: YA
Rating: 3.5/5

I enjoyed this fun finding yourself story. I am insanely jealous of the trip Ginny took in the book, but thought she was a little too rigid in following her aunts instructions. I think she missed out on experiencing the great places she got to go because she was so set on completing the next task. Still a fun book though.


Resistance by Anita Shreve
Paperback: 222 pages
Publisher: Back Bay Books; (January 1, 1997)
ISBN-13: 9780316789844
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 3/5

I usually really enjoy Shreve's books but this one fell a little flat for me. I found myself more angry than sympathetic with the characters. I also wanted to know more about the Resistance movement and less about the forbidden relationship.



Defending Angels by Mary Stanton
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Berkley (December 2, 2008)
ISBN-13: 9780425224984
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Rating: 3.5/5

This book is a complete departure from what I usually read, but I found a fun change of pace. The characters are zany and very entertaining, and this is a great start to a new series. Check back tomorrow for my full review of the second book in the series, Angel's Advocate, and a giveaway!

7 comments:

avisannschild said...

Ooh I want to borrow this idea! I'm sad to hear that Resistance was disappointing; it's on my TBR pile for this year.

Stop by my blog for an award!

Kaye said...

Great idea! I agonize over writing reviews. I may do this in the future myself, hope you don't mind if I "borrow" ( read steal) your brilliant idea.

Melissa said...

Borrow away! This post was fun and easy to write at a time I was feeling a bit stressed over reviews. Now I just need someone to make me a button. :) *hint, hint*

Julie said...

Super idea, I feel the same way...some books are hard to review & sometimes I just have too many books!

Literary Feline said...

I am sorry Resistance didn't live up to the other books by Shreve. I have only read one by her so far--but I do intend to read more. I have Testimony on my shelf waiting its turn, I believe. :-)

I enjoyed Defending Angels too. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on Angel's Advocate.

Unknown said...

I had read many of Anita Shreve's books way before Oprah found her. After a while her books became dull for me. I read resistance a while ago. Can't remember exactly the plot. I stopped reading her. Then I was offered Testimony, which was totally different way to write. I absolutely loved the book. If you have it give it a try.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Totally agree with your assessment of 13 Little Blue Envelopes. She should have been more flexible!