Monday, June 8, 2009

Review: True Colors by Kristin Hannah


Book Info:
True Colors by Kristin Hannah
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (February 3, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9780312364106
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 3/5



The Grey sisters have always been close. After their mother’s death, the girls banded together, becoming best friends. Their stern, disapproving father cares less about his children than about his reputation. To Henry Grey, appearances are everything, and years later, he still demands that his daughters reflect his standing in the community.

Winona, the oldest, needs her father’s approval most of all. An overweight bookworm who never felt at home on the sprawling horse ranch that has been in her family for three generations, she knows that she doesn’t have the qualities her father values. But as the best lawyer in town, she’s determined to someday find a way to prove her worth to him.

Aurora, the middle sister, is the family peacemaker. She brokers every dispute and tries to keep them all happy, even as she hides her own secret pain.

Vivi Ann is the undisputed star of the family. A stunningly beautiful dreamer with a heart as big as the ocean in front of her house, she is adored by all who know her. Everything comes easily for Vivi Ann, until a stranger comes to town.

In a matter of moments, everything will change. The Grey sisters will be pitted against one another in ways that none could have imagined. Loyalties will be tested and secrets revealed, and a terrible, shocking crime will shatter both their family and their beloved town.





I loved Kristin Hannah's Firefly Lane (review). I listened to it on audio and fell in love with the characters and the story. I had high expectations for True Colors, and unfortunately, it didn't quite measure up.

I expected to love the characters and was disappointed when I didn't. I found Winona whiny and inflexible at times. She got so caught up in herself that she didn't seem to consider anyone else's feelings. Vivi Ann is the golden girl, the sister who everything goes perfect for. Her perfection at the beginning of the book put me off. I much prefer flawed characters. Aurora, the middle sister was the most interesting, the most real, but she played a minor role and we didn't see too much of her.

As the story went on the characters grew on me a little, but I never loved any of them. Then came the ending of the book...and I didn't like it at all. Everything was wrapped up a little too neatly and conveniently. I also had a hard time believing that Noah, Vivi Ann's son, would be as open and accepting of the changes in his life. While True Colors didn't match up to Firefly Lane I will still be reading more from Kristin Hannah. 3 stars

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I did not really care for True Colors (had the audio version). Melissa maybe you could add The Chosen One to your PBS wish list, and once I am through, I could post it to you?

Sandy Nawrot said...

I love your honest reviews. Some authors certainly have a knack for endearing their characters to us, and it is a bummer when they don't. Good review!

Yvonne said...

I listened to Firefly Lane on audio, too, and absolutely loved it! I'm sorry this one didn't live up to expectations - I hate when that happens. I haven't read this one yet, but Kristin Hannah is usually a pretty good read.

Literary Feline said...

I have a copy of Firefly Lane I have been wanting to read. I am sorry this one didn't quite live up to your expectations. Thank you for your review!

Florinda said...

I reviewed this a couple of months ago, and my impressions were similar to yours (although I think I may have liked it a little more...). Aurora definitely got the middle-child treatment, didn't she?