Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Review: Bloom by Elizabeth Scott


Book Info:
Bloom by Elizabeth Scott
Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse (April 24, 2007)
ISBN-13: 9781416926832
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4/5



There's a difference between falling and letting go.

Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?

It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?

But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.



I've heard great things about Elizabeth Scott's book Living Dead Girl (which I still haven't read). I was excited to read Bloom because it sounded so different from Living Dead Girl. There were lots of things I liked about Bloom, but I didn't think it was amazing.

Lauren is a completely realistic character, and I can see a lot of me in her. She feels like she has to do the "right" thing whether or not that is what she wants. She is torn, and because of this makes some decisions that I didn't particularly like. While I may not have always liked Lauren actions, they were completely understandable and honest.

Dave, Lauren's boyfriend, is supposed to be the perfect guy. Handsome, popular, perfect...and incredibly boring. I found him to be very flat, one dimensional and completely uninteresting. Apparently his kind perfection just isn't for me. Evan was a much more interesting character as he had a bit of an edge.

I found all of the characters relationships with their parents interesting. Some parents were super involved and others basically non-existent. Bloom also shows that the side of your friends you see at school may not give you a good picture of what goes on at home. Overall, a good book, but nothing amazing. 3 stars

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

The premise has promise, because I would imagine 90% of people at one time stayed longer in a relationship than they should've because it was the "right thing to do". I always appreciate your reviews because you tell it like it is...too bad it didn't live quite up to expectations!

Ana S. said...

I've been meaning to read Bloom for a while myself. Sounds like this might not be the best one to start with, though.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I also think the premise sounds intriguing, but the book itself sounds a bit boring. Too bad!

Missy B. said...

Living Dead Girl is on my Wish List...I don't think that I would enjoy Bloom, though.

Cindy said...

I think it sounds good :)

Zibilee said...

Sorry this one was lacking a bit for you. I am not sure if this would be the right book for me, but it does sound like it has some interesting elements to it.

Mark David said...

Sounds interesting... Living Dead Girl is YA??? I just read a synopsis and it sounds pretty troubling to me.