Thursday, January 15, 2009

Booking Through Thursday...Sing! Sing a Song

But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like … songs!

If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes.

So, today’s question?
What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?

Why?
And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?

You don’t have to restrict yourself to modern songsters, either … anyone who wants to pick Gilbert & Sullivan, for example, is just fine with me. Lerner & Loewe? Steven Sondheim? Barenaked Ladies? Fountains of Wayne? The Beatles? Anyone at all…

It's funny, but I have very few favorite songs. I like them while they are playing on the radio, but am then very likely to forget about them once they stop playing. A tune will usually catch my attention before I know the words to the song.

The one exception to this is Brad Paisley. I think he is an amazing guitar player and his is one show I do not miss if I can help it.

My favorite song of his is a very personal one for me. My first husband was killed in a car accident about three years ago and the song When I Get Where I Am Going always reminds me of him. At least I am able to listen to it now without crying.

I don't listen to much country now either. Usually I listen to Top 40 or Alternative Rock.

Which are your favorite songs?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I just love a phrase in an old Harry Chapin song. The song is I Wanna Learn a Love Song, its a good song, Chapin was a storyteller more than a lyricist, but the phrase is "dilapidated dreams" used to describe a man who's teaching guitar to a woman. (Lot more complicated than that, but I gotta go take the kids to school...)

Listen to Chapin's Mr. Tanner, and you can never write a tersely worded uber critical review again. "'cause music was his life, it was not his livelihood and it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good. And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul, he did not know how well he sang, it just made him whole...."

Sandy Nawrot said...

I like this week's question, because I love music, and have ever since I was a kid. A have a pretty broad spectrum in my iPod, but of them all, one stands out as a true master and genius at the lyrical word...Elvis Costello. He is a bit eccentric, but if you just read his words, they will blow you away. He has been at it for over thirty years, and he just keeps cranking them out.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I love the lyrics to so many songs - that's usually what draws me to songs in the first place. I think Tori Amos writes great if obscure lyrics, Morissy (of The Smiths) writes really amusing stuff and lately I've really liked Seawolf.