Monday, February 2, 2009

Review: Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster


Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb.

She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice.

This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good.

Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

One of my (unofficial) goals this year is to finally read some books which have been buried on my TBR shelves. If I had know how funny this one was, I wouldn't have waited so long to read it.

Lancaster is (admittedly) quite nasty at times. But even with her foul mouth and self-centered attitude I still found myself laughing out loud more than once. This story isn't all about her nastiness though and I found myself rooting for her too!

This memoir is a fun, fast read and is a nice change from some of the heavier memoirs I usually read. 4 stars

Order Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

3 comments:

S. Krishna said...

I really enjoyed Jen's first two books! Her third, Such a Pretty Fat, is sitting on my shelf. Nice review!

Kelly said...

I thought this was just such a funny book. I haven't read any other's by Lancaster, but its on my "roundtuit" list. (As in I'm gonna get around to it!)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I didn't realize this was a memoir. I haven't read anything by Jen Lancaster, but this does sound funny ... the subtitle alone is enough to make me want to read it!

Dawn
She is Too Fond of Books