Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review: Forgive Me by Amanda Eyre Ward


Book Info:
Forgive Me by Amanda Eyre Ward
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Ballantine Books (January 29, 2008)
ISBN-13: 9780345494474
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 2.5


Nadine Morgan travels the world as a journalist, covering important events, following dangerous leads, and running from anything that might tie her down. Since an assignment in Cape Town ended in tragedy and regret, Nadine has not returned to South Africa, or opened her heart–until she hears the story of Jason Irving.

Jason, an American student, was beaten to death by angry local youths at the height of the apartheid era. Years later, his mother is told that Jason’s killers have applied for amnesty. Jason’s parents pack their bags and fly from Nantucket to Cape Town. Filled with rage, Jason’s mother resolves to fight the murderers’ pleas for forgiveness.




I'd heard good things about Ward's book Sleep Toward Heaven, so I was expecting good things from Forgive Me too. I thought the premise of the book was good, but the execution fell flat for me.

The first part of the book was fascinating. I love to travel and love books set in foreign countries. I thought the descriptions of Cape Town and the unrest were very interesting. The story line also flashes back to the past, to the last time Nadine was in Cape Town, and why she never returned. This part of the story worked well for me.

Somewhere in the middle of the book I started to lose interest. There was a plot in the book (which I won't give away) that didn't work for me at all. When the book was over I was left confused and disappointed. It felt like Ward was trying to hard to make a point. From reading some other reviews, there seems to be "clues" in the reading guide (which I didn't read), that may add some insight, but I don't want to have to re-read a book just to get the author's point.

The best word to sum up this book is disappointing. There were enough things in the book that I liked that I will still read Sleep Toward Heaven, but Forgive Me is not one I would recommend. 2.5 stars

Order Forgive Me

5 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

That is a bummer, especially after you just shelved another book. I will wish you luck on the next one!

Cindy said...

Sorry to hear it wasn't so good :(

Melissa said...

Sandy: I actually finished this one back in Feb. I schedule my reviews into the future a lot of times.

Zibilee said...

Sorry that this one was so disappointing for you.

avisannschild said...

I'm sorry to hear this one was disappointing too. I hope the one I own (Forgive Me) is a better book!