Friday, May 1, 2009

Review: Catching Genius by Kristy Kiernan


Book Info:
Catching Genius by Kristy Kiernan
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Berkley Trade (March 6, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0425214354
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Women's Fiction
Rating: 4.5/5


As children, Connie and Estella were best friends-until Estella was discovered to be a math prodigy, which led to the sisters' estrangement. Now, years later, they are forced to reunite on the Gulf Coast of Florida as they pack up their childhood home and ready it for sale. The reunion comes at a time when both Connie and Estella must come to terms with painful revelations and devastating consequences in their own lives. And once again, her sister's genius may alter Connie's life in ways she cannot control.
Kristy Kiernan's debut novel does a wonderful job of capturing the complex relationship between sisters. I could easily picture myself and my sister in the jealousies and struggles as Connie and Estella worked on mending their adult relationship.
The story is told from different perspectives and through flashbacks. Even with all these shifts the writing flowed very well. I never lost where I was in the story, as can sometimes happen with multiple story lines.
All of the characters are wonderful flawed. I don't enjoy characters who are too perfect, too polished. These women were realistic and the struggles Connie was facing are those I think a lot of women can relate to, and sympathize with.
It's not often I sit down and get so absorbed in a book that I finished it in day, but that was the case this time. I couldn't put it down until I know where things ended. The ending was fitting too as things were left a little open. 4.5 stars

7 comments:

Cindy said...

SOunds interesting :)

Sandy Nawrot said...

The fact that it is about sisters (I have one of those) and it takes place on the Gulf in Florida leads me to believe I would enjoy this one. Thanks!

avisannschild said...

This sounds good! Thanks for the review.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I have this one on my shelves; glad you enjoyed it! :)

Katya said...

almost 400 pages and you finished it in one day! i think i finally got myself a worthy book partner! :) I followed your blog, really hope to see more from you

Gwendolyn B. said...

Wow! You did read it fast! Sounds good, too - thanks for posting your thoughts!

Jenny said...

I felt the same way about Matters of Faith, another of her books. I really want to read this one now! Sounds good!