Thursday, May 28, 2009

Booking Through Thursday...Unread


In the perfect follow-up to last week’s question, as suggested by C in DC:

Is there a book that you wish you could “unread”? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?



Last week's question was really hard for me, and I couldn't come up with more than a one sentence answer, so I skipped it.

This question is much easier. If I dislike a book that much, I simply quit reading it. There are some books I've read that didn't do much for me, but I didn't despise them. Some that come to mind are Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (review), Forgive Me by Amanda Eyre Ward (review) and A Sudden Country by Karen Fisher.

What books do you wish you could unread?

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I skipped last week's as well! I felt my answer was a bit too typical.

Not big on this whole idea of unreading, and I agree with you... if I don't like it, I quit! Simple as that!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Jess said...

I have a 100 page rule. If I don't like it after 100 pages then I do not finish it. There are exceptions however, such as book club.

Sandy Nawrot said...

I cannot recall ever reading a book I "despise", which is such a strong word. There is usually something redeemable in any book, and only once in a great while will I stop midstream.

Mimi said...

The Gathering by Anne Enright
My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain.

I'm sure it is coincidence they are both Irish authors.

Nise' said...

Jess is a bit more patient than me! I put it aside after 50 pages. I'm with Mimi, I did not make it through The Gathering.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I was about to say, "Oh no!" to Bel Canto when I saw your review. Off to go read it to see what happened (I loved the book but have heard others say they didn't like it.)

Shari said...

So I think I will leave these off my list then! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your profile photo by the way!

Nithin said...

Like Trish, I too was surprised to see Bel Canto mentioned here. But then, I myself wasn't too happy with the ending of the book myself.

For me Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is the one book that I feel I should never have bothered to finish.