Thursday, November 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday...


Suggested by JM:
I receive a lot of review books, but I have never once told lies about the book just because I got a free copy of it. However, some authors seem to feel that if they send you a copy of their book for free, you should give it a positive review.
Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?


I absolutely do not believe that reviewers are obligated to only post positive reviews. To me, that is not a review, it is just providing lip service.

I don't review books any differently depending on whether it's a review copy or not. I believe in providing honest reviews, and sometimes that includes explaining why a book didn't work for me. And that, to me, is one of the great things about reviewing books. Everyone has different things that appeal to them. A book that I wouldn't bother finishing may be another's favorite.

I understand that author's get attached to their work, but they must also realize that not every book will appeal to every reader. When I do post a negative review I try to point out the good and the bad in a book, without giving away spoilers. I think this is fair to the author as well as my reader.

I don't think that blogs should have to post disclaimers announcing they may post negative reviews. This should go without saying. I would expect authors to respect this. If an author chooses to respond to a negative review I would only ask that their comments open a dialogue and not be posted only to harass.

No comments: