Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Honeymoon with my Brother by Franz Wisner


This is the true story of Franz Wisner, a man who thought he had it all- a high profile career and the fiancée of his dreams- when suddenly, his life turned upside down. Just days before they were to be married, his fiancée called off the wedding. Luckily, his large support network of family and friends wouldn't let him succumb to his misery. They decided Franz should have a wedding and a honeymoon anyway- there just wouldn't be a bride at the ceremony, and Franz' travel companion would be his brother, Kurt.

During the "honeymoon," Franz reconnected with his brother and began to look at his life with newfound perspective. The brothers decided to leave their old lives behind them. They quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and traveled around the world, visiting fifty-three countries for the next two years. In Honeymoon With My Brother, Franz recounts this remarkable journey, during which he turned his heartbreak into an opportunity to learn about himself, the world, and the brother he hardly knew.


I expected to love this book. Memoirs, and especially travel memoirs, are some of my favorites. Honeymoon with my Brother was good, but I wouldn't list it among my favorites. I think my biggest problem with it is that I like travel memoirs to really show me a place that I will likely never get to travel to. In Honeymoon, the brothers traveled to so many countries that you really didn't get a feel for most of them.

Wisner did take this experience and completely change the priorities in his life. This memoir, while it did include travel, was really more of a personal growth story. Wisner was able to reconnect with his brother and figure out what was really important to him. 3 stars

Order Honeymoon with my Brother

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I have that on my Reminder list, but I've not ordered it yet.
Thanks for the review.