Thursday, September 4, 2008

Booking Through Thursday...


I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.

Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.
Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?


I try to read popular books as I seem to like most of them, but I always feel so far behind in what I want to read, that some of them get pushed aside. For example, I have the entire Twilight series and the entire Harry Potter series, yet have never read any of them! I am even 2 books behind in some of my favorites mystery series.

Some recently hyped books, like Memory Keepers Daughter, fell woefully short for me. Because of this, I will usually try to get to popular books eventually, but am in no rush to read them. If I feel pressured, I get less enjoyment out of them.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I've often found that, the more hyped a book is, the more apt I am not to like it. There are exceptions of course, but years can pass by the time I read them!