Thursday, September 25, 2008

Booking Through Thursday...

What was the most unusual (for you) book you ever read? Either because the book itself was completely from out in left field somewhere, or was a genre you never read, or was the only book available on a long flight… whatever? What (not counting school textbooks, though literature read for classes counts) was furthest outside your usual comfort zone/familiar territory?

And, did you like it? Did it stretch your boundaries? Did you shut it with a shudder the instant you were done? Did it make you think? Have nightmares? Kick off a new obsession?

This is a great question and I am having a hard time coming up with an answer! I read such a wide variety of things that I can't think of something outside of my comfort zone that I have read in a while. Maybe that means I need to branch out again!

The only thing I can think of is some Shakespeare that I read in high school and college. This wasn't something that I would have ever picked up on my own, but I did enjoy it. Having a rough understanding of the time period and language also made it easier when I saw Merchant of Venice. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but won't be reading Shakespeare for pleasure any time soon.

I guess I haven't read too much out of my comfort zone lately...I usually read current fiction, mysteries and thrillers, and memoirs. If any of you have a favorite book that is different from what I usually read, please leave me a note with it's title and I'll check it out.

No comments: