Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday Thingers!




Today's topic: Book-swapping. Do you do it? What site(s) do you use? How did you find out about them? What do you think of them? Do you use LT's book-swapping column feature for information on what to swap? Do you participate in any of the LT communities that discuss bookswapping, like the Bookmooch group for example?

Yes! I use Bookmooch and PaperbackSwap. I started on PBS, which I love, but I think both sites complement each other.

On PBS, I love the community. The forums are great and very user friendly, for the most part. I like that on PBS you get in line for a Wish Listed book, and if you are patient, have a pretty good chance of getting it. I am very active on PBS and am even a tour guide there.

I found Bookmooch through PBS and also list my inventory there. I like the fact that you can list condition notes and ARCs on BM. I had pretty good luck with the original WL system on BM, and was sorry to see it go. I don't like the forums at BM at all though. They are not easy to use and are very slow. Another thing I love about BM is that it is international. I have been able to find some books there that aren't readily available in the US. You get extra points for sending international and the cost per point isn't much different. I also like all the cool places my books get to end up.

I also tried Title Trader, but wasn't a fan at all. While it is free to use the basic site you have to pay to get any additional features, like WL matches. I never found much I was interested in there, and have closed my account.

Bookins is another site that I have had a little experience with, but I have stopped using it too. On there, you don't pay for outgoing postage, like you do on the others, but pay $4.59 (IIRC) for each incoming book. I thought it was a little pricey, but was able to find some books on there quicker than waiting in line at PBS.

I am a member of the BM group on LT, but read more than post. Some of the topics can get repetitive, so I don't check in very frequently.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't know I could "wish list" a book on PBS! I looked yesterday for *Out Stealing Horses*, but it didn't even come up on a list. I'll go back now and see if I can wish list it (I can wait for someone to let it go!)

Leesy said...

It's funny how many of us are in love with BookMooch. It has its drawbacks, but overall it is so gratifying to use.

Melissa said...

Out Stealing Horses is on my WL at PBS. My nickname there is sassenach. If you find it on my WL you should be albe to easily add it to yours.

S. Krishna said...

I'm really happy about being able to list ARC's on BM - that's one of the main reasons I like it better than PBS!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Getting some international books sounds cool :)

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I love the fact that BookMooch is worldwide. Being Canadian I found that many booksites are exclusive to the USA.

Julie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog:) In the Woods is really good, so far.