Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman


Tales of a Female Nomad is the story of Rita Golden Gelman, an ordinary woman who is living an extraordinary existence. At the age of forty-eight, on the verge of a divorce, Rita left an elegant life in L.A. to follow her dream of connecting with people in cultures all over the world. In 1986 she sold her possessions and became a nomad, living in a Zapotec village in Mexico, sleeping with sea lions on the Galapagos Islands, and residing everywhere from thatched huts to regal palaces. She has observed orangutans in the rain forest of Borneo, visited trance healers and dens of black magic, and cooked with women on fires all over the world. Rita’s example encourages us all to dust off our dreams and rediscover the joy, the exuberance, and the hidden spirit that so many of us bury when we become adults.


I have a soft spot for travel memoirs, but I especially loved this one. Instead of simply traveling and seeing things, the author immersed herself in the culture and actually got to experience a foreign way of life. In addition to traveling to amazing places, she also made amazing friends all over the world. If I ever have the chance to travel much, I can only hope my experiences will be as wonderful as hers. 4 stars

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds quite inspiring!

Lisa said...

That sounds fabulous! Sadly, if I sold all my belongings, I don't think I could get quite to Borneo, but it's a wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring and brave -- talk about stepping outside your comfort zone!

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks for sharing about this book, I've never heard of it but I am going to check it out now. Sounds amazing!