Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shoot The Moon by Billie Letts


In 1972, the tiny windswept town of DeClare, Oklahoma, was consumed by the terrifying disappearance of Nicky Jack Harjo. When he was no more than a baby, his pajama bottoms were found on the banks of Willow Creek. Nearly 30 years later, Nicky mysteriously returns in this intriguing and delightfully hypnotic tale, full of the authentic heartland characters that Billie Letts writes about so beautifully.


I picked up this book awhile ago at a FOL sale because the cover captivated me. I got a request to send it out on Paperback swap and almost sent it out without reading it. I am really glad that I didn't do that!

I was ambivalent about Where The Heart Is, and didn't really expect too much from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. The book was filled with fun and quirky characters. The writing was smooth and had me drawn in once I got past the prologue. I admit, I had to read the prologue twice, but once I got past that, I hated to put this book down and couldn't wait to pick it back up again. 4 stars

3 comments:

Kelly said...

As I read your review, I'm thinking..."Billie Letts...hmm..where do I know that name from..." When I got the the end and you mentioned Where the Heart Is; my oldest daughter and I really liked that book. Can't wait to read Shoot the Moon now, and when I tell her about it, she'll head right to the bookstore and buy it, so its a win-win for me!!

Lenore Appelhans said...

It does sound good enough to win a place in the TBR tower!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Thanks for the great review, one of the things I enjoyed about Where The Heart Is and The Honk and Holler was Letts way of giving her characters realistic personalities and quirks.