Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Thingers!


What’s the most popular book in your library? Have you read it? What did you think? How many users have it? What’s the most popular book you don’t have? How does a book’s popularity figure into your decisions about what to read?


I had never sorted my books by popularity, but my top 5 most popular books are:


  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • American Gods
  • Middlesex

And of those, I have only read Geisha. I really enjoyed Geisha and it actually inspired me to pick up some other Japenese historical fiction.


Over 20,000 people with Harry Potter doesn't surprise me. I sometimes feel like one of the only people who hasn't read this series!


A books popularity doesn't have much influence on whether I read something or not. A popular book might get a look just because of its hype, but that doesn't always mean I will pick it up.



6 comments:

Library Cat said...

Hi,
I always feel the same way about Harry - I am the only one who only knows him from the big screen. I just can't make myself read them even though I did not hate the movies. Well, I guess that explains it - it is a huge time committment to not just be dying to read them!
LibrarysCat

Mimi said...

I've read all but "American Gods"

Is there a list at your library?

Anonymous said...

You were smart to include your top five, not just the HP titles!

My neighborhood book group read _Middlesex_ this fall. There was a lot going on in that novel, more than the obvious "main" story. I really liked it (much more than Eugenides' _The Virgin Suicides_)

Lenore Appelhans said...

I have read all of your top 5 except HP.

Literary Feline said...

I have read all five of your top five books. :-) Middlesex is one of my favorite books, while I probably liked Wuthering Heights the least.

Lynda said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog! It's wonderful and I'll be reading it often :)

A books popularity doesn't have much influence on whether I read something or not either.

The 5 most popular books in my library are:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Kite Runner
100 Years of Solitude
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Time Travelers Wife

Of these I've only read The Kite Runner and The Time Travelers Wife.