Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen


In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit. In this luminous debut novel, Sarah Addison Allen tells the story of that enchanted tree, and the extraordinary people who tend it.…


The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden. Their history was in the soil. But so were their futures.


I was so excited to finally get a copy of this and have time to read it, that I am afraid I was expecting too much. I liked this book, but it wasn't the absolutely amazing book I was hoping for. Garden Spells is enchanting and definitely worth reading, but I think the apple tree was my favorite character. 4 stars

1 comment:

Marcia said...

My f2f book club has this on our list of possible selctions for next year. After reading your review I'll give it a bit of push to move up into the selected pile.