Friday, June 6, 2008

Hand of Evil by J. A. Jance



With his hand trapped in the door of a speeding car, a man struggles to remain upright as he's dragged along a deserted stretch of San Juan Road in Phoenix's South Mountain Preserve. It's the perfect place to drive a man to his grave -- literally. Starting with a crime so gruesome even prowling coyotes keep their distance from the remains, a killer begins crisscrossing the Southwest on a spree of grisly murders.

A hundred miles away, Ali Reynolds is grieving. The newscasting job she once delighted in is gone and so is the philandering husband she loved and thought she knew. When a member of the family who gave Ali a generous scholarship for her education decades earlier suddenly asks her for a meeting, Ali wonders what it can mean. Before she can satisfy her curiosity, though, Ali receives another startling call: a friend's teenage daughter has disappeared. Ali offers to help, but in doing so, she unknowingly begins a quest that will reveal a deadly ring of secrets, at the center of which stand two undiscriminating killers....

This is the third book in the series, and I enjoyed this one more than the first two. I wasn't very impressed with the first in the series, and thought the second was just ok. This one was better than both, in my opinion. I like the characters a little better, but felt like I was missing some details as it seems I don't remember too much about the first 2 books. 3 stars

1 comment:

Jacquie L Reaville said...

It sounded great and something I'd be interested in reading but then when I found out it was a series I kind of stepped back from it. Maybe I'll read it maybe not, but a good review so thanks!