Friday, October 31, 2008

Shoot Him If He Runs by Stuart Woods


Stone Barrington and Holly Barker team up once again in Woods' newest offering, this time to hunt ex-CIA-agent-turned-assassin Teddy Fay at the behest of the director of the CIA, Kate Rule Lee, who also happens to be the wife of President William Lee. Stone and Holly, along with Dino Bacchetti, are dispatched to luxurious St. Marks island, where they spend as much time frolicking in the ocean as they do tracking Teddy. Stone and Holly manage to strike up an acquaintance with Irene Foster, a former CIA employee who was reputed to have had a relationship with Teddy, and her current lover, Harry Pitts. But Stone and Holly soon find themselves caught up in the corrupt local politics, which stand in stark contrast to the balmy paradise the island appears to be. After the chief of police on the island is gunned down, Stone and Holly realize Teddy might be back in business, and the hunt to find him becomes even more urgent.


This has been one of my favorite series for quite a while, but this book just didn't really do it for me. It's been a long time since I read the early books in the series, but I remember them being solid mysteries. After a bit the mysteries weren't as tight, but the characters were so much fun that I still loved them. This one, however, left me feeling like all of the characters were bumbling idiots. They mystery was loose, at best, many things just left me shaking my head.

I will continue with this series though. It is still a fun, quick read as long as you don't expect too much mystery. There are times when this is just what I need. 3 stars

No comments: