Thursday, August 28, 2008

Booking Through Thursday...


If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?

Or, um, is it just me?


I guess I'd never really thought about it that way, but I do agree. You can have the greatest characters ever, but if nothing ever happens, what's the point in reading about them? I will take character interaction over descriptive passages any day, but the action in the story is really what keeps things moving. If you don't care about what happens next in the story there really isn't any reason for you to keep turning pages!


1 comment:

Alea said...

I'm the exact opposite! If a character is doing something really excited but has no personality I don't really care what they are doing. But if a really interesting character is just sitting doing nothing there I could read and read and read!