Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Review: Notes From the Underbelly by Risa Green

Book Info:
Notes From The Underbelly by Risa Green
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: NAL Trade (April 5, 2005)
ISBN-13: 9780451214164
Genre: Chick Lit
Rating: 4/5


As a guidance counselor at an elite, Bel Air high school, Lara Stone is definitely not ready to have any spoiled, bratty kids of her own. At least not now, when she has finally managed to Tae-Bo and low-carb herself down to a perfect size four. But her husband has different ideas, and they include fatherhood. Now.

Suddenly, Lara finds herself deep within the underbelly of pregnancy, as a cranky, non-glowing mother-to-be dealing with uncontrollable crying jags, inexplicable weight gain, and scary hemorrhoids. And her mood doesn't improve when she's given the task of getting one of her students-the punk, outcast daughter of a famous movie director-into a highly competitive college.

Expecting is nothing like Lara ever expected.





Hubby and I recently found out we are expecting our first baby (!!!) and to celebrate I wanted something pregnancy related, but still light and fun. I wasn't ready to get into the What To Expect type books already. Notes From the Underbelly was a perfect choice.

Lara is a spoiled, pampered and whiny character, but really funny at the same time! She tells things like they are and isn't bashful about complaining about the not-so-fun parts of being pregnant. She doesn't sugarcoat her feelings and I loved that.

Even though I am having a wonderful pregnancy I enjoyed this hilarious look at the uncomfortable parts of pregnancy. If you enjoy Jen Lancaster, this light chick lit book should be right up your alley as well. 4 stars

10 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Melissa, congratulations to you!!!! I'm so happy for you! You'll have to keep us updated. Pregnancies, for all the complaining you hear, are really magical special times. Cherish every minute of it!

Melissa said...

Thanks! We are really excited! It was a bumpy road to get here, so we are both thrilled.

Jenny said...

Congrats!!!!!! That is so exciting!! I definitely understand the bumpy road part so I am soooo happy for you!!!!

Have you seen the show based on this book? My hubby and I love it. It hasn't been on for a long time but I think they're bringing it back.

Lisa said...

Congratulations!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Yes, ours was very bumpy and several years long. There for awhile we didn't even know if we would ever be able to have kids. Just a word of almost laughable caution...while it took years and science to get my daughter, the boy showed up less than two years later, as a result of a fun Valentines Day! Sometimes after the first one, that "on" switch stays "on"!

Zibilee said...

Congratulations on the baby news! I am very happy for you! I liked this review and think that this sounds like a great light read that will really have me laughing. Thanks!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Congrats! I read a bunch of wedding fiction when I was planning my wedding, so I can totally understand wanting to read some pregnancy fiction.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Congratulations>>how exciting.

Marie Cloutier said...

LOL, sounds like fun :) Congrats on your pregnancy!

college admissions essay said...

That's a good chick-lit for women who undergo the same problem