Monday, August 10, 2009

Review: The End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson


Book Info:
The End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Broadway (September 2, 2008)
ISBN-13: 9780767927635
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Novella
Rating: 4/5


Ambrose Zephyr is a contented man. He shares a book-laden Victorian house with his loving wife, Zipper. He owns two suits, one of which he was married in. He is a courageous eater, save brussels sprouts. His knowledge of wine is vague and best defined as Napa, good; Australian, better; French, better still. Kir royale is his drink of occasion. For an Englishman he makes a poor cup of tea. He believes women are quantifiably wiser than men, and would never give Zipper the slightest reason to mistrust him or question his love. Zipper simply describes Ambrose as the only man she has ever loved. Without adjustment.

Then, just as he is turning fifty, Ambrose is told by his doctor that he has one month to live. Reeling from the news, he and Zipper embark on a whirlwind expedition to the places he has most loved or has always longed to visit, from A to Z, Amsterdam to Zanzibar. As they travel to Italian piazzas, Turkish baths, and other romantic destinations, all beautifully evoked by the author, Zipper struggles to deal with the grand unfairness of their circumstances as she buoys Ambrose with her gentle affection and humor. Meanwhile, Ambrose reflects on his life, one well lived, and comes to understand that death, like life, will be made bearable by the strength and grace of their devotion.





I picked up The End of the Alphabet because I needed a quick read. I have a couple of books that I've been reading and reading, and needed just finish a book so I felt like I accomplished something.

Even though I picked it up just because it looked quick, it ended up being a fairly satisfying read. I never felt like I really knew Ambrose and Zipper all that well, it was more like I knew them in passing. But what I did learn about them, I ended up really liking. I would have liked a little more depth to the characters, but the format of the story worked really well. The story was a little sparse in detail, but not incomplete.

I don't usually read novellas, but I found myself enjoying this one. If you are looking for a quick read that makes you think, give this one a try. 4 stars

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on this book, which I enjoyed very much when I read it.

Jenny said...

Haha, I know exactly what you mean about needing a quick read so you can feel like you accomplished something. That's how I feel when I'm in a reading rut or it's taking me a while to finish something. It's like I need that to jump start my reading again!

Andreea said...

Thanks for this great review. It sounds like a book that I would enjoy.

bermudaonion said...

I laughed when I thought about Zipper Zephyr. This does sound like a delightful book.

Zibilee said...

This does sound like a lovely book. I like the synopsis you provided, and though I don't normally read many novellas this sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Great review!

Zibilee said...

This does sound like a lovely book. I like the synopsis you provided, and though I don't normally read many novellas this sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Great review!