Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Bottom Line, #6

The Bottom Line is a feature to designed to give quick and dirty reviews of books I've read, but I either don't have the time or the inspiration to write full reviews on them.


Book Info:
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (October 13, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9781416989417
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Friend's copy
Rating: 3.5/5

I've been reading a lot more YA lately and Hush, Hush was another hit with me. This one included a bad boy character that I couldn't help but be attracted to, a heroine that did some amazingly stupid things sometimes, and an ending that was apparently changed from the ARC to the final copy. Hush, Hush was entertaining, but didn't contain anything too deep.



Book Info:
Lost Girls by George D. Shuman
Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Pocket Star (June 30, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9781416553045
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: My Shelves
Rating: 3.5/5

Lost Girls is the third book featuring blind psychic Sherry Moore. Moore can 'see' the last 18 seconds of a victims thoughts before the die. The first book in the series hooked me, the second was ok at best, but I enjoyed this installment. Lost Girls also included a storyline on human trafficking and I found it very interesting.



Book Info:
Wicked Prey by John Sandford
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Putnam Adult (May 12, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9780399155673
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: My Shelves
Rating: 3.5/5

I think this series is my favorite one, and I follow a lot of them. It's one series that still holds my attention, had believable plots, and Sandford isn't turning out 3 books a year. This one wasn't my favorite as the Republican Convention was the backdrop and I don't really enjoy politics, but it was still another solid installment.

5 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I think perhaps we have had this discussion before, but I am also a follower of the Lucas Davenport series. I love him, his hardass demeanor (with his soft spots for his kids and for Weather). I'm not sure if this particular book was my favorite either, but Sanford gave me enough to keep me coming back.

Marie Cloutier said...

I need to do more of these quick-hit reviews. Oy, it would help me catch up especially with those books I'm dreading reviewing! :-)

Fyrefly said...

I'd heard about the change in Hush, Hush's ending, so I checked out the final version from the library and compared it to the ARC, and it's not all that different... maybe a paragraph or two changed, but I didn't think it changed the tone at all.

Zibilee said...

Both Hush, Hush and Lost Girls sound very good to me. I bought my kids a copy of Hush, Hush for Christmas and am hoping that I can snag it from them very soon. I am so glad you are doing this feature...I really like the quick review format!

Zibilee said...

Both Hush, Hush and Lost Girls sound very good to me. I bought my kids a copy of Hush, Hush for Christmas and am hoping that I can snag it from them very soon. I am so glad you are doing this feature...I really like the quick review format!