Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: Girl Missing by Tess Gerritsen

Book Info:
Girl Missing by Tess Gerritsen
Author Extras: Website, Facebook, Twitter
Source: Library, Audio
Rating: 2.5/5

Summary from the Publisher:

THE FIRST BODY IS A MYSTERY.

She's young. She's beautiful. And her corpse, laid out in the office of Boston medical examiner Kat Novak, betrays no secrets -- except for a matchbook clutched in one stiff hand, seven numbers scrawled inside.

THE NEXT BODY IS A WARNING.
When a second victim is discovered, Kat begins to fear that a serial killer is stalking the streets. The police are sceptical. The mayor won't listen. And Kat's chief suspect is one of the town's most prominent citizens.

THE FINAL BODY . . . MIGHT BE HERS.
With the death toll rising, Kat races to expose a deadly predator who is closer than she ever dreamt. And every move she makes could be her very last.

Review:

The very first thing you need to know about this book is that it is a re-issue.  It was originally released in 1994 as Peggy Sue Got Murdered.  I listened the audio version, and it included an introduction explaining that Gerritsen sees this novel as her first book that blended romance with crime writing.  The introduction also mentioned that the book was updated for the re-issue.  I'm not quite sure what that means, but maybe the addition of cell phones...

I've been reading Gerritsen's books for years, and this is the first one I've been a little disappointed with.  If I'd realized it was a re-issue, and romantic suspense before I started listening, I probably would have skipped it.  It wasn't terrible, but I really prefer Gerritsen's grittier Rizzoli and Isles series.

My biggest complaint with the book is that some of the character's actions were unbelievable, and this kept distracting me from the story.  For example, at one point Kat, the medical examiner, is talking to a person of interest in the case.  He starts asking some questions about another body in the morgue, and she pulls out the file and tells him all of the findings on that case. 

It's been a few months since I listened to this one, so I don't really have any specific comments on the narrator.  While I didn't find anything about her delivery particularly memorable, I also don't really have any complaints.  If you like romantic suspense, Girl Missing is decent, but if you prefer series books, or more mystery and less romance, try the Rizzoli and Isles series.  2.5 stars, ok+

5 comments:

Zibilee said...

Not sure if this one would be for me, and I am sorry to hear that it wasn't what you expected either. Thanks for being so honest in your review though!

Becky W. said...

I liked this book! Looking forward to another one that she's got out, Ice Cold, I think it is.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

??? not sure about this one, but I just got the audio of her new one Ice Cold from the library.

bermudaonion said...

I've heard so many people rave over Gerritsen's work, so I listened to this book, and I just thought it was okay. I had kind of decided Gerritsen's work wasn't for me, but after reading your review, I think I need to give her another try.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! for sharing.