Monday, October 19, 2009

The Bottom Line, #4

The Bottom Line is a feature to designed to give quick and dirty reviews of books I've read, but I either don't have the time or the inspiration to write full reviews on them.

Deeper by Megan Hart
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Spice (July 1, 2009)
ISBN-13: 9780373605323
Genre: Erotica
Source: Borrowed from a friend
Rating: 3.5/5

I don't usually read erotica so I didn't know quite what to expect with this book. It was a little tamer than I thought it would be but the storyline was decent. I could see myself picking up another one of Hart's books if I just wanted something different to read. I also read this one on a Kindle which was a fun change.

Blue Heaven by C.J. Box
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Minotaur Books (June 23, 2009)
ISBN-13: 978-0312614836
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: Library, Audio
Rating: 2.5/5

Blue Heaven started out promising, but kind of fizzled by the end. I expected a little more from the story, but it wasn't bad. There were a few times I found myself rolling my eyes at the dialogue and a I found a couple of the narrators voices terribly annoying.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: HarperFestival; (October 28, 2008)
ISBN-13: 978-0061649691
Genre: Young Adult, Children's
Source: Library, Audio
Rating: 4/5

I'd heard great things about Gaiman, but hadn't had the chance to read him before. I really enjoyed this audio though. The story was a little predictable, but not to the point of being boring. What I enjoyed most though was Gaiman's narration. His voice was smooth and the inflections perfect. I'll listen to another one of his books for that fact alone.


Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I like this idea. I don't always have the energy to write full reviews or really that much to say about some books.

Sandy Nawrot said...

It is so easy to get behind on the reviews! I think these quick ones tell us enough to know whether we want to know more!

Ceri said...

Great round up of reviews - this is a great idea. I keep hearing about Neil Gaiman and have one of his books on my wishlist to try out. :)

Zia said...

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite narrators. You should listen to him narrate his book called "The Graveyard Book". It is most excellent!

bermudaonion said...

I loved Coraline - you need to see the movie, if you haven't already.

Zibilee said...

I really like this feature, and am thinking about something like this for my blog. Sometimes a book just doesn't inspire a lot of thought and feeling from me, and this format would be great for those occasions. I also liked Coraline and agree with the above poster that you should see the movie, if you haven't already.

Diane said...

I usually read CJ Box, but passed on this one for some reason. I'm guessing I did not miss much :) Trying to be more selective with so many books out there.

Suko said...

Your blog has the most perfect title!

I am new to your blog, but I wanted to tell you that I enjoy your brief reviews. Sometimes, I know my reviews are a bit too long, and that people don't have time to read them for that very reason. But sometimes I keep them short and sweet as well. :)