Friday, July 24, 2009

Review: Honey, It's All in the Shoes by Phyllis Norton Hoffman


Book Info:
Honey, It's All in the Shoes: Celebrating the Footsteps of the Contemporary Woman by Phyllis Norton Hoffman
Paperback: 170 pages
Publisher: Health Communications (July 2009)
ISBN-13: 9780757307577
Genre: Non-Fiction
Rating:

Can you remember the magic you felt when you slipped on your mother's high heels; your very own first pair of pumps; your excursion for the perfect professional pair; the glory of finding the most comfortable shoes; and your first ballet slippers, Mary Janes, or running shoes?

In these pairs of shoes reside distinct journeys, phases of life, triumphs and tragedies, precious memories, and lessons learned. In Honey, It's All in the Shoes Phyllis Norton Hoffman takes you on a journey examining these defining moments, sharing what she has learned when she was required to wear different shoes - from a mother and wife to entrepreneur and businesswoman to publishing powerhouse to doting grandmother - and provides advice for women on putting their best foot forward, not matter their role, circumstance, or stage of life.






I've never considered myself a shoe person. Now, don't get me wrong, I like shoes and have a wide variety to choose from, but choosing from work or play, weekend or dressier seems pretty limited compared to the variety in some people's closets!

Even with my (relative) lack of shoe choices I found Honey, It's All in the Shoes a delightful read. Hoffman tells her stories of everything from business to family with relation to her shoes and the result is a fun and entertaining read. Hoffman is always upbeat and her words are often inspirational as well.

Each chapter ends with a mini history lesson about either a style of shoe, or about a famous person and their love of shoes. This was a wonderful way to end each story and I actually ended up learning a lot! I would recommend Honey, It's All in the Shoes to shoe lovers and memoir lovers alike. 4 stars

A special thank you to TLC Book Tours for my review copy. Be sure to check out the page for the other tour stops.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to get this for my mother. She loves memoirs and shoes, so it should be right up her alley.

Angela said...

I'm going to add this book to my to-read list right now. Thanks for the review.

Ceri said...

I'm not a shoe person either. In fact, I hate shopping for shoes - I'd rather do it all online to avoid the leers and stares of the shop assistants - but this actually sounds different and like it would be a very interesting read. One I'll definitely pick up if I see it in the library/book shop :-)

Thanks for that review.

Heather said...

I love shoes. Next to books, they are the one thing that I love to buy, unfortunately I can no longer wear all the shoes that I have, stupid foot surgery. I may have to check this book out.

Zibilee said...

This looks lie a cute and quick read. It might be good for bit of light fare between heavier books. Thanks!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

It looks good and fun - I am usually not a shoe person but every once in awhile a pair speaks to me.....